Like fashion, food changes over the years. However everyone loves the occasional old fashioned dish which brings back memories of happiness and comfort when life seemed easier. Cottage pie is one of the everyday dishes that our household grew up with. The recipe comes from Granny Rina – I copied it and didn’t change a thing because it is just perfect.
500g topside mince
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 beef stock cube
2T(30ml) tomato paste
4 potatoes, boiled and mashed
- Heat oven to 180°C.
- Sauté onion and garlic in a large frying pan over a medium heat.
- Turn up heat and add mince.
- Brown mince, stirring to keep it loose.
- Reduce heat to low and add tomato paste, stock cube and herbs.
- Cook over low heat for 30 minutes stirring from time to time until nicely browned.
- While meat is browning make mash potatoes, adding an egg and 2ml baking powder along with the butter and milk when mashing
- Put mince into the bottom of a 19cm diameter soufflé dish.
- Top with mashed potato and fork the top so that it will get crusty ridges.
- Put in the oven for about 30 minutes till top is brown and crispy.
- Enjoy with pumpkin, corn on the cob, and steamed greens