Potatoes with Cream – totally indulgent
This is utterly delicious and very rich – one of those dishes where you eat it slowly and savour every morsel to retain the taste and velvet texture. It is best served with grilled fish and a plain green vegetable. Ideal for dinner parties as you can prepare a day or two ahead of time and reheat before serving.
700g potatoes, peeled
300ml cold milk
50 cheddar cheese, grated
- Thickly butter a shallow ovenproof serving dish.
- Slice peeled potatoes about ½cm thick.
- Place in saucepan with milk and bring to boil and simmer s-l-o-w-l-y for 10minutes.
- Drain off milk, discard and cover potatoes with the cream.
- Bring to boil and cook potatoes slowly in the cream for another 10 minutes.
- Spoon potatoes and cream into serving dish, and sprinkle with the cheese.
- You can either grill the top of the potatoes now till the top is brown and bubbles or keep the dish for a day or two then reheat and place under the grill.