Audrey’s Asparagus Tart with Cheese Pastry for an Unexpected Luncheon
This is large, filling, a dash unusual, delicious and inexpensive to make. The cheese pastry is unbelievably good but I never got round to filling it with anything different. The ingredients are readily available in the pantry so it’s easy to whip up with a salad and bread for unexpected guests at a Sunday lunch or just for a light family dinner. In case you’re wondering, Audrey was mum of one of our family friends, Anthony Holman.
150g butter from the fridge
150g(1½ cups) cheddar cheese such as Coons or Bega
- Use grater blade in food processor to grate butter and cheese.
- Remove grater blade and replace with normal blade.
- Add flour and process until pastry just forms.
- Press into a 25cm greased pie dish -it will be quite thick.
1x484g tin asparagus, tinned works perfectly
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup cream
1t(5ml) bicarbonate of soda
pinch mustard powder
- Lay asparagus and cheese over pastry.
- Mix remaining ingredients and pour over.
- Bake at 180°C for 35 to 40 minutes until filling has set.