Bacon and Egg Pie – Easy, Tasty and Perfect for every Picnic or School Lunchbox
This is the family’s most popular picnic and bushwalking food – of course it is wonderful for brunch and a very special treat in a school lunchbox. I used to bake it early in the morning and wrap in foil as it came out of the oven. It would still be slightly warm when we ate it. Nothing tasted better after some exercise – something about simple flavours.
3 rashers bacon, diced
2 sheets puff pastry
- Heat oven to 200°C
- Layer 1xsheet of puff pastry in a 23cm diameter pie dish.
- Cook bacon until crispy in microwave or frying pan.
- Drain all fat and scatter cooked bacon evenly over puff pastry.
- Break eggs over bacon being careful to keep yolks whole.
- Top with second sheet of puff pastry and crimp edges.
- Brush top of pastry with egg white.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until pastry is browned.
- Serve at room temperature or cold.