Pecan Meringue Pie
This sweet is thick, gooey and absolutely scrumptious. When Bianca was first born I used to have a ritual where I would meet my best friend, Keryn, for tea once a week. This was what we would order when we were being bad at one of our favourite coffee shops in Rosebank in Johannesburg. Something I have not seen in Australia- maybe because they don’t have Salticrax. In case you’re wondering what we had for tea when we were good it was ……. cheese muffins. Click here for the Cheese Muffins.
2 extra large egg whites
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
¾ cup caster sugar
16 salticrax, broken into small pieces
1 cup halved pecans
whipped cream and some extra chopped pecans to serve (Optional)
- Heat oven to 160°C (300°F)
- Beat egg whites until frothy.
- Add sugar and baking powder and beat until stiff.
- Fold in pecans and salticrax.
- Smooth into greaseproof lined pie dish.
- Bake for about 30minutes until colour changes and tart is dry.
- Just before serving, cover with whipped cream and extra pecans.
- Eat in one sitting as it will go soggy if left overnight.
Note: The closest thing I found to Salticrax in Australia was the Franklins No Frills imitation Jatz. Jazz themselves are not quite right.