Dondeng – A Popular Family Casserole
This is a popular family casserole that we nicknamed Ding dong do. Whilst it is a curry of Asian origin this recipe is mild with only a pinch of chilli powder and ideal for all children. The lemon rind, almonds and jam give it a rich dark colour and beautiful flavour. If you like it hot serve some chopped chilli on the side.
2 onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic
1kg topside or chuck steak, cubed
3 Tablespoons whole almonds
1 Tablespoon grated lemon rind
3 Tablespoons lemon juice
2 Tablespoons plum jam or any dark jam
1ml chilli powder
1 cup beef stock
- Place beef cubes in a plastic bag. Add a little flour and toss cubes in the bag till coated with a fine layer of flour.
- Brown meat in batches in a large pot, removing when golden.
- Then sauté onions and garlic in the same pot.
- Add meat to onions after a few minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 2½ hours or till meat is tender
- Serve with steamed rice