Crunchy Layered Oats, Yoghurt and Banana Tart
This is a lovely tart with crunchy oats base, a tart creamy subtle middle layer, and a fruit topping. It is simple and quick to make but tastes elaborate. You can use in season fruit for the topping – in summer try strawberries, raspberries, or stone fruit. In winter banana is delicious or you can even use a quality apricot or black cherry jam.
1/2 cup sticky brown sugar is plenty
2 cups quick porridge oats
180g(6 oz) butter
3/4 cup sour cream or creme fraiche
1.5 cups plain yoghurt, Greek style
1 Tablespoons caster sugar
grated zest of 1 lemon
Fruit of your choice: 3-4 Bananas/1 punnet strawberries/etc
1/2 cup jam to glaze – use apricot for bananas or redcurrant for strawberries
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Gently melt brown sugar and butter in a saucepan – do NOT let it boil. Remove from heat and stir in the oats. Spread evenly into a greased 24cm(9-10inch) diameter flan dish.
- Bake in the top half of the oven 20 minutes. Cool slightly.
- In a bowl stir yoghurt, sour cream, sugar and lemon zest for the middle layer together. Pour on top of the oat base. Put dish back in the oven for 8 minutes. Cool. The yoghurt topping will be smooth and slightly firm.
- A couple of hours before serving slice the bananas (or halve the strawberries if using) and layer on top of the yoghurt base. Melt the jam for glazing in a small saucepan or in a bowl in the microwave. Brush onto the fruit with a pastry brush.
- Use a sharp knife to cut the crispy base and serve as is or with cream or ice cream.