Chocolate Birthday Cake
Birthdays were always special times. We usually had glorious parties at home after weeks of planning. Bianca’s parties tended to feature a swimming or Halloween theme. Sven’s parties usually involved some type of sporting theme.
This is one of those everyday plain chocolate cakes that everyone loves. We used it baked in a lamington tin covered with smarties to take to school to celebrate birthdays as well as at the birthday party. It was extra special cause we only had it when someone was having a birthday cause I always suspected that chocolate wasn’t real good for you and stayed away from anything chocolate most of the time.
300g (440g) butter, cut into small cubes
200g (300g) flour
250g (400g) sugar
40g (60g) cocoa
4 (6) eggs
100ml (150ml) water
2t (3t) baking powder
- Heat oven to 170°C or 325°F.
- Butter and flour a 23cm diameter baking tin (20cmx30cm lamington tin).
- Place all ingredients in food processor.
- Process for 10 seconds.
- Scrape ingredients down and process for another 10 seconds.
- Place in baking tin and bake for about 45-50minutes until knitting needle or skewer comes out clean.
- Cover with chocolate icing and decorate.
Note: Quantities in brackets can be used to make the larger lamington sized cake
- Process in food processor till well mixed.
- Spread top and sides of cake with icing immediately. It will set if not used immediately.