Granny Panzera’s Shortbread from Ruby
Makes approx 40 Shortbread Fingers.
4 1/2 cups cake flour
1 cup maizena (cornflour)
1/2 cup castor sugar
2/3 cup icing sugar
500g(1 lb) butter, very very soft
- Heat oven to 150°C(300°F).
- Beat sugar and butter till creamy.
- Stir in the maizena (cornflour).
- Then quickly work in the flour and pinch of salt.
- I use my processor. – do not over beat
- Put into a 40cm x 25cm(15″ x 10″) or equivalent baking tray about 2″ deep. Flatten mixture evenly. Poke holes in the mixture about every 5cm (2″) apart. Neaten the edges.
- Place in the middle of the oven. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Turn baking tray around to ensure even baking. Then turn the oven down to 140°C(275°F) for the next 40 minutes. The shortbread colour should remain cream – or maybe a deeper shade of cream – NOT brown.
- Remove from oven and slice into fingers whilst still hot. Leave in the baking tray until it is cool.