Roast Apple and Broccoli Soup
This sounds delicious … it’s pretty ugly but has wonderful flavour. Stay tuned to updates as I experiment with it. It’s here so I can find the recipe.
3 Granny Smith apples(each about 100g), peeled and cored
1 piece Broccoli, approx 300g
1 bunch sage, half of the leaves roughly chopped
4-5 sprigs thyme
6 cups vegetable stock
40g butter for serving
Micro herbs, edible flowers to serve
- Heat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Place apples on a paper lined tray. Be generous with the paper as the apples create like a sticky toffee. Drizzle apples with a little olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Add thyme sprigs and 1 tablespoon of the chopped sage to core, over and under apples.
- Trim base of broccoli and place whole in baking dish adjacent to apples. Drizzle with a little olive oil and season well with salt and pepper.
- Place both baking trays in the oven and bake for 20 minutes. The apples should be tender and collapsed. The broccoli will still be firm but tender. Cool slightly then roughly chop and set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan. Add remaining chopped sage and cook 3-4 minutes. Now add roast apple and broccoli and cook for a further two minutes.
- Now add the stock, bring to the boil, turn to a low simmer and simmer for 3-4 minutes.
- Whiz in a blender until smooth, reheat over a medium heat and season.
- Meanwhile melt butter in a frypan over medium heat. Add whole sage leaves and cook 2-3minutes until butter begins to brown.
- Pour soup into bowls, drizzle with sage butter, top with micro herbs or edible flowers if using and season if required.