Bianca’s Spiced Nuts
Bianca has always loved nuts and believes every drink should be served with nuts …. or olives. When she was living in the USA she discovered these delicious nuts, often served warm. Let’s revolutionise Australia by adopting this delicious concept. Bianca recommends almonds and pistachios here. To double the recipe, adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and bake the nuts on 2 baking sheets, switching and rotating sheets halfway through baking.
Orange-Cardamom Spiced Nuts
Bianca recommends almonds and pistachios here. To double the recipe, adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and bake the nuts on 2 baking sheets, switching and rotating sheets halfway through baking.
Makes 3-4 cups
- 1 large egg white
- 1.5 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pound(500g) unsalted nuts
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position. Heat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Coat with cooking spray.
- Whisk egg white, orange juice, zest, vanilla extract, and salt in large bowl.
- Add nuts and toss to coat.
- Drain in colander thoroughly, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Mix sugar, ground cardamom, and pepper in large bowl. Add drained nuts and toss to coat.
- Spread nuts evenly on prepared baking sheet and bake 40 to 45 minutes until dry and crisp, rotating sheet halfway through baking time.
- Cool completely. Break nuts apart and serve.
- Nuts can be stored in airtight container for 3 weeks.
Butter Rum Glazed Nuts
These are my favourites.
Makes about 2 cups
- 2 cups raw walnuts or pecan halves
- Warm Spice Mix
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Rum Glaze
- 1 tablespoon rum, preferably dark
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon light brown sugar or dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line rimmed cookie sheet with parchment paper and spread nuts in even layer;
- Toast 4 minutes, rotate pan. Continue to toast until fragrant and colour deepens slightly, another 4 minutes.
- Transfer cookie sheet with nuts to wire rack.
- For the spice mix: While nuts are toasting, stir together sugar, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice in medium bowl; Set aside.
- For the glaze: Bring rum, vanilla, brown sugar, and butter to boil in medium saucepan over medium-high heat, whisking constantly.
- Stir in toasted nuts and cook, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, until nuts are shiny and almost all liquid has evaporated, about 1½ minutes.
- Transfer glazed nuts to bowl with spice mix; toss well to coat. Return glazed and spiced nuts to parchment-lined cookie sheet to cool.
- Can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days.